- Intelligent Software Assistant
- Adam Cheyer is leading the design of powerful software that acts as a personal aide.
- $100 Genome
- Han Cao's nanofluidic chip could cut DNA sequencing costs dramatically.
- Michel Maharbiz's novel interfaces between machines and living systems could give rise to a new generation of cyborg devices.
- Paper Diagnostics
- George Whitesides has created a cheap, easy-to-use diagnostic test out of paper.
- Liquid Battery
- Donald Sadoway conceived of a novel battery that could allow cities to run on solar power at night.
- Traveling-Wave Reactor
- A new reactor design could make nuclear power safer and cheaper, says John Gilleland.
- Software-Defined Networking
- Nick McKeown believes that remotely controlling network hardware with software can bring the Internet up to speed.